Connect with us

Police Heroism

Cop shot during protest after officials announce few charges in case; FBI SWAT team at scene



Cop shot during protest after officials announce few charges in case; FBI SWAT team at scene
Cop shot during Louisville protest

Cop shot during protest after officials announce few charges in case

LOUISVILLE, Ky. – Wednesday protesters took to the streets and cop was shot during protest. Emotions ran high here at least one police officer was shot, following a day that brought angry response to a prosecutor’s decision to charge only one of the officers involved in the Breonna Taylor shooting.

A Louisville Metro Police officer was shot in downtown Louisville Wednesday night, a department spokesman confirmed. But details were sketchy and it’s unclear why the cop was shot during protest.

An FBI SWAT team is on the scene to help with the officer shot.

On Wednesday, a Kentucky grand jury indicted one of three police officers involved in the incident on charges of wanton endangerment for shooting a gun into a neighboring apartment. Former Louisville police officer Brett Hankison is facing three felony charges. Jonathan Mattingly and Myles Cosgrove, two other officers involved, were not charged.

Man takes officer’s gun, opens fire inside LA police station

Taylor, a 26-year-old ER technician, was killed after officers used a search warrant at her apartment shortly before 1 a.m. on March 13, looking for drugs and cash as part of a larger narcotics investigation connected to her former boyfriend. She was shot six times. 

Here are the latest updates in the case:

  • A group gathered in Jefferson Square Park, the heart of the protests for the past 125 days, before the decision was announced. Protesters have since marched from downtown Louisville. Some have been arrested after police formed a line, stopping protesters, on Bardstown Road in the Highlands neighborhood. 
  • Attorney General Daniel Cameron said his investigation determined that Jonathan Mattingly and Myles Cosgrove were justified in their actions and that they did announce themselves as police officers before the shooting.
  • Brett Hankison, who was fired in June, is facing three felony counts and bail was set at $15,000. A warrant has been issued for his arrest.
  • The mayor of Louisville imposed a 72-hour curfew on Wednesday. Police have cut off access to downtown and set up barricades and fences around buildings. 
  • Six Louisville police officers – including the three who fired their weapons into Breonna Taylor’s apartment – remain under internal investigation into whether officers broke department policies. 
  • Last week, the city of Louisville announced a $12 million settlement with Breonna Taylor’s family, which included a host of police reforms. 

Biden urges peace following Breonna Taylor decision

Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden said Americans “must continue to speak Breonna Taylor’s name” following the decision by a Louisville, Kentucky grand jury not to indict any of the police officers on homicide charges involved in her March 13 shooting death.

“In the wake of her tragic death, we mourn with her mother, family, and community and ask ourselves whether justice could be equally applied in America,” Biden said in a statement issued after a campaign visit to Charlotte, N.C., with Black business leaders. “I know for so many people today’s decision does not answer that call.”

Biden urged protesters to be peaceful and patient as they await the results of an ongoing federal investigation. Earlier, he told reporters that violent protests threatened to “sully” Taylor’s memory.

At the White House, President Donald Trump did not directly address the grand jury’s decision but instead quoted Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron’s statement that justice “does not fit the mold of public opinion” and that “justice sought by violence” is not justice but revenge.

“I think that was a terrific statement,” Trump told reporters, adding that Cameron, who spoke at the Republican National Convention last month, “is doing a fantastic job.” He ignored questions from reporters seeking more direct comment on the grand jury’s decision.

– Ledyard King and Michael Collins

Former cop Brett Hankison booked in jail, released half an hour later

Brett Hankison, the sole Louisville police officer facing charges in the case, was booked at the Shelby County Detention Center and released about half an hour later, the jail confirmed.

Hankison was arrested Wednesday after being indicted on three counts of first-degree wanton endangerment and booked at 4:30 p.m., the detention center confirmed. He was released at 5:02 p.m.

The judge had set a $15,000 cash bond for Hankison.

– Emma Austin

Breonna Taylor’s family dismayed by decision: ‘I’m mad as hell’

At the youth homeless shelter in Grand Rapids, Michigan, where she works as a residential adviser, Taylor’s cousin Tawanna Gordon watched with tears in her eyes as Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron announced that only one of the officers was indicted by a grand jury — but not for killing Taylor.

“I’m not surprised,” Gordon, 45, told The Courier Journal on Wednesday, minutes after Cameron’s press conference ended. “But I’m mad as hell because nothing’s changing.”

Taylor’s cousin said the family will continue to fight for justice while hoping the pending FBI investigation will reach the same conclusion they’ve reached: that Taylor’s civil rights were violated.

 “They failed you, they failed me,” Taylor’s sister, Juniyah Palmer, wrote on Twitter after Cameron’s announcement. “Breonna i am so sorry … i don’t know what to do.”

Tamika Palmer, Taylor’s mother, left the attorney general’s press conference without talking to media. And her attorneys said she would have no comment Wednesday.

– Tessa Duvall and Jonathan Bullington

Gov. Beshear calls on attorney general to release evidence of cop shot

Gov. Andy Beshear called on Attorney General Daniel Cameron on Wednesday to release evidence from his office’s investigation into the fatal police shooting of Breonna Taylor online.

“Everyone can and should be informed and those that are currently feeling frustration, feeling hurt, they deserve to know more,” Beshear said at a press conference Wednesday. “I trust Kentuckians. They deserve to see the facts for themselves.”

Breonna Taylor protests continue as Louisville under curfew

Beshear also delivered a message to protesters promising to listen as people make their voices heard and be “a partner moving forward.” Still, he urged protesters not to engage in violence noting that militia groups had been spotted walking in downtown Louisville. 

“I will never, ever tell someone not to give voice to their truth or to speak out for what they believe in,” he said. “So, be safe and the eyes of the world are on Louisville. People will hear.”

‘We are in shock’: Protesters start marching in Louisville 

Almost immediately after hearing the charges, protesters began moving together away from Jefferson Square Park, which has been the heart of the protests, toward Broadway. Several police vehicles trailed closely behind. The National Guard was also present.

Protesters approached police and yelled at them at Fourth and Broadway but continued their march, moving east on Kentucky Street.

Stachelle Bussey, founder of local nonprofit The Hope Buss, said it took her a minute to come out of shock after hearing the charges against Hankison announced. 

“I thought more was going to come,” Bussey said. “I was like, ‘OK, they’re going to say some other stuff.’ … They turned the live off, and I realized that was it.”

“He was just charged (with) wanton endangerment — not even for shooting into her apartment, but for shooting into other apartments. We are in shock.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

In The News

2 officers ambushed in New Orleans, one shot in face by man in pedicab



The officers were in an SUV when the pedicab approached

Credit: The New Orleans Advocate

NEW ORLEANS — A pedicab passenger inexplicably shot a New Orleans police officer in the face in the French Quarter on Friday afternoon, just as revelers began arriving to celebrate Halloween weekend.

The officer was wounded at about 4:25 p.m. while in his patrol vehicle near St. Philip and Royal streets. Other officers took him to a hospital rather than wait for paramedics, and police arrested the alleged gunman within minutes, Police Superintendent Shaun Ferguson said.

Ferguson said the officer was in serious but stable condition after being shot under his left eye. The bullet was lodged in the officer’s skull, but the four-year veteran, whose name was not immediately released, was responsive as he walked into the hospital holding his cheek, Ferguson said.

A second officer, a 16-year veteran, was wounded by glass shards in the shooting, from a shattered window on the cruiser.

“Two of our officers were ambushed,” said Ferguson, who said officers confiscated a gun that they think was used in the shooting. “This is a dark day.”

Ferguson said the suspect, who had a gun holster on him, appeared to be experiencing some type of medical episode when he was captured. He said the man was taken to a hospital for evaluation, and he made clear that the arresting officers did not use any physical force on the suspect.

“I want to commend those officers for maintaining professionalism,” Ferguson said.

Ferguson did not identify the suspect or specify what charges he would face.

Friday night, a law enforcement source identified the suspect as Donnell Linwood Hansel, 45. 

Several eyewitnesses said two officers were in an SUV on Royal Street crossing St. Philip when a pedicab riverbound on St. Philip approached. A man in the back of the pedicab stood up and fired at least five shots into the driver’s side door of the police vehicle, they said. The shooter ran off as the pedicab crashed.

Gabriel Shaffer, an artist who owns a gallery on that block of Royal, said he heard the wounded officer get out of the vehicle while moaning and exclaiming in pain.

“I could clearly hear him say, ‘Oh, my God, somebody just took my life!'” Shaffer said. “It was pretty awful.”

Tour guides Angie Still and Karen Fernandez said they were just a few yards away when the shooting erupted. They saw an officer on the passenger side of the targeted police vehicle jump out and scream, “Officer down!” Neither officer from the vehicle appeared to have time to return fire.

“We were just sitting there in shock,” Still said.

Douglas Mackar, who was in a building overlooking the scene of the shooting, said he heard the gunshots and ran to the window. He said he saw the driver of the pedicab crash into the sidewalk and run for cover.

Mackar said he ran from the window to check on his girlfriend, and by the time he returned, the wounded officer had already been whisked away to the hospital. “Whoever was first on the scene got him loaded up and out of here within seconds,” Mackar said.

A woman who asked that her name not be published said she saw the suspected shooter flailing, screaming and trying to bite first responders who were loading him into an ambulance after his arrest.

At the wig shop Fifi Mahoney’s, employees grabbed a few passerby from the street and locked them inside along with six customers. One customer, a doctor, left and dashed to the shooting scene to help, returning later with bloodied hands to take his wife home, an employee said.

Ferguson said passersby helped officers find the gunman by pointing him out as he ran to the intersection of St. Peter and Decatur streets. A retired Army veteran performed first aid on the officer’s face wound before he was taken to the hospital, Ferguson said.

The police chief thanked those members of the public for each of those actions, which came amid a party atmosphere that is typical in the French Quarter on a Friday evening.

Donovan Livaccari of the local Fraternal Order of Police lodge called the shooting was a sobering reminder of the dangers inherent to professional law enforcement.

“Merely driving down the street … can lead to gunfire,” he said. “These two officers were not responding to a call for service. They were not looking for an armed subject on a pedicab. They were driving around in the French Quarter on routine patrol.”

“If the city can’t even keep the police safe, how can we feel safe?” wondered a worried Kim Planche Hunter, who has lived in the French Quarter resident for 70 years.

Ferguson said the attack marked a particularly grueling hour in what has been a difficult year for both his agency and the city. Not only has New Orleans been gripped by the deadly coronavirus pandemic since March, it also took a direct hit two days earlier from Hurricane Zeta, a strong Category 2 storm that caused widespread damage and left tens of thousands without electricity even two days later.

“We’ll get through this together,” Ferguson said.

Katelyn Umholtz contributed to this report.

(c)2020 The Times-Picayune | The New Orleans Advocate

McClatchy-Tribune News Service

Continue Reading

In The News

San Francisco Police: 3 cops injured in clashes between pro-Trump, anti-Trump groups



Three cops injured during clashes in San Francisco

San Francisco Police: 3 cops injured in clashes between pro-Trump, anti-Trump groups
3 cops injured in clashes between pro-Trump, anti-Trump groups

October 18, 2020By Mallory Moench and Michael Williams – San Francisco Chronicle

SAN FRANCISCO — 3 cops were injured in clashes on Saturday. San Francisco police said six people were injured, including three officers, during clashes between a small group of President Trump’s supporters and a larger crowd of counterprotesters Saturday near Civic Center. No arrests had been made by early Saturday evening.

The pro-Trump protest, billed as a free speech rally, drew people from Team Save America wearing “Make America Great Again” hats and carrying pro-police “Thin Blue Line” flags. They set up a stage at the Federal Building at U.N. Plaza, but dozens of black-clad demonstrators quickly gathered to oppose the group, holding signs that read, “Smash Fascism” and “Nazi Trump F– Off.”

The rally was organized in protest of what the Team Save America group described as censorship of conservative views by social media companies. About 10 people were on the speech-giving side of a police barricade.

They were eventually outnumbered by hundreds of counterprotesters. Rumors spread on social media that the Proud Boys, a pro-Trump group known for participating in street brawls, would appear at the rally. The rally’s organizer, Philip Anderson, has identified himself on social media as a member of the Proud Boys.

Tensions rapidly built up as demonstrators surrounded some members of the pro-Trump group, chasing them behind a barricade set up to separate the groups.

A short time later, the opposition group confronted Anderson, arguing about fascism and the police.

After about 10 minutes, the two men started walking away, followed by the black-clad demonstrators. Some people threw punches at the men as they retreated behind a police barrier. A couple dozen officers holding batons and carrying zip-tie handcuffs on their belts lined a barricade on the stage side.

Police officer shot, another man injured in Kansas shooting

At about 1 p.m., Anderson took the stage. He was quickly greeted by a barrage of plastic water bottles and glass bottles thrown over the barricade. He had gotten punched in the face, and later posted photos on social media of his broken teeth.

“You knocked my tooth out, but you’re saying Black lives matter,” said Anderson, who is Black. “I love America and I love this country, but I want free speech.”

At least one Trump supporter was taken from the rally in an ambulance after being attacked by a counter protester. His condition was not immediately known.

The speech ended after about 15 minutes, and counterprotesters were left confronting a line of riot-gear-clad police.

San Francisco police said that one rally participant was “assaulted,” and that opposition protesters had thrown items including “plastic bottles filled with unknown liquid,” metal cans and eggs at rally participants. Police shut down the event due to the violence, the police statement said.

After the speeches ended, the counterprotesters moved to block McAllister Street as the pro-Trump crowd left the area. Shields were handed out among counterprotesters as riot police formed a line to move the crowd off the streets. At one point, pepper spray was used — its origin was unclear, though both sides blamed the other — causing coughs.

By about 1:30 p.m., the counterprotesters moved west along Market Street toward Twitter headquarters with a line of shields in the front that read, “We keep us safe.”

Mara Coleman, 20, of San Mateo joined the march with a bullhorn and a sign that read, “Say his name,” and “Protect black men,” with a picture of George Floyd.

“These are people who have been hurt for hundreds, if not thousands, of years,” she said of protesters. “What do you expect? It’s not our job to be peaceful. You don’t get justice, you take justice.”

“All cops are bulls–,” the crowd chanted as it moved down Market Street toward Twitter headquarters, where Team Save America was said to be planning another anti-censorship rally later.

Around 2:30 p.m., a scuffle erupted at the corner of Market and Polk streets. A video taken by bystander Brynn Atlas, obtained by The Chronicle, shows two men, one with a MAGA hat, walking into the crowd at Twitter headquarters. In the video, a counterprotester appears to notice the hat and sends water from a bottle toward the man. Another grabs the hat, while another swings, as counterprotesters chase the two men down the street into a gathering of police.

NJ can release names of disciplined cops, appeals court rules

When counterprotesters, one waving a partially burned Thin Blue Line flag, moved toward the police and the two men receiving medical attention, police called for backup. Sirens came screaming down side streets to Market Street, and about 50 officers in a line, batons raised, marched steadily forward, effectively pushing counterprotesters toward South Van Ness Avenue. Another line did the same toward 10th Street. After a couple of heated minutes with the counterprotesters yelling at silent officers, the counterprotesters retreated.

Police cleared out from Market Street by 3:15 p.m., and by 4:30 p.m. the street was back open and no protesters were to be seen.

Police said in a statement that “several rally participants sustained non life-threatening-injuries.” There are 3 cops injured in clashes. The three officers had non-life-threatening injuries “when they were assaulted with pepper spray and caustic chemicals,” the police said. One was taken to a hospital.

Twitter and Facebook both came under attack from Trump and conservative groups when they banned users from sharing links to a New York Post story that said email recovered from a computer suggested that Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden had lied about not being involved in meeting with people from a Ukrainian energy company that had his son Hunter on its board of directors.

“So terrible that Facebook and Twitter took down the story of ‘Smoking Gun’ emails related to Sleepy Joe Biden and his son, Hunter,” Trump tweeted Wednesday.

Twitter officials argued that the story of the three cops injured in clashes was violated their rules against using hacked content, but backed away and lifted the ban Friday.

“Straight blocking of URLs was wrong, and we updated our policy and enforcement to fix,” Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey tweeted.

(c)2020 the San Francisco Chronicle

Continue Reading

In The News

Police officer shot, another man injured in Kansas shooting



Cory Ryan, the police officer was shot multiple times when responding to a call from a man who said he had been threatened with a gun

Police officer shot, another man injured in Kansas shooting
Police officer shot, another man injured in Kansas shooting

October 17, 2020: CREDIT: Associated Press

LYONS, Kansas — Cory Ryan, Lyons police officer was shot multiple times when responding to a 911 call Friday afternoon from a man who said he had been threatened with a gun, the Kansas Bureau of Investigation reported. The 36-year-old police officer went to a Lyons residence and was shot by a man who lived there, 40-year-old Adam Hrabik, the bureau said.  A police officer and another man were injured by gunfire in Kansas, authorities said.

Former NYPD Police Commissioner: Democrat mayors have surrendered to “domestic terrorists”

Two bystanders who saw the shooting drove the officer to a hospital in their vehicle. Additional officers then found a 56-year-old man outside who had also been shot.

Lyons Police chief Justin Holliday also sustained minor injuries when removing a 56-year-old Lyons man who had been shot from the scene. Holliday is recovering at home after being treated at a local hospital. Ryan, The officer was later transferred from the local hospital to a Wichita hospital in critical condition. The 56-year-old man was in serious condition at a Wichita hospital.

In the Wichita hospital Ryan is improving and is listed Saturday in critical, but stable condition. The 56-year-old man is in good condition Saturday and is expected to be released from the hospital.

Mich. governor kidnap plot: How the FBI spent months tracking down the case

An hourslong standoff ensued after Hrabik retreated into the residence, according to investigators. Negotiators with the Kansas Highway Patrol’s special response team got him to leave the home at about 7:10 p.m., The Kansas Bureau of Investigation said.

Hrabik has not been formally charged.

Continue Reading


Copyright © 2017 Keep Cops.