Report shows 47% increase in injuries to NYPD officers so far this year
CREDIT: Law Enforcement Today
NEW YORK, NY — The New York Police Department has reported that 472 of its officers have been injured throughout the city since May 28 while responding to anti-police protests that turned into violent riots.
According to NYPD data, 472 law enforcement officers of various ranks were shot, stabbed, struck by vehicles or assaulted with heavy objects, such as rocks, bricks and Molotov cocktails. 47% increase in injuries to NYPD officers so far this year.
Even the department’s highest ranking officer, Chief Terence Monahan, had his finger broken during a clash with protesters on the Brooklyn Bridge in July.
Of those injured, 319 officers required hospital treatment and seven, like Lt. Richard Mack, who was badly beaten while making an arrest on the Brooklyn Bridge, were admitted to hospitals.
There were 7,528 NYPD line-of-duty injuries so far in 2020, 47% increase in injuries to NYPD officers from the 5,133 in 2019, NYPDdata revealed.
“This behavior is unacceptable and will not be tolerated,” NYPD spokeswoman Sgt. Mary Frances O’Donnell told The New York Post.
NYPD Sgt. Joseph Imperatrice told The New York Post:
“The average person doesn’t hear about the daily assaults and injuries to police officers. Officers are hurt every single day whether in regards to being assigned to routine patrol or a riot location.”
Imperatrice was on the scene during protests in Soho on May 31 and June 1. The protests turned chaotic, and dozens of suspected looters were arrested. While officers were trying to make arrests, Imperatrice said they were pelted by “air mail,” a term that refers to heavy and dangerous objects being thrown at police, such as filled bottles, metal debris, rocks and bricks.
Imperatrice reported that one inspector ended up with a severely sprained hand “tackling a subject running away from the scene of a location where they had just broken storefront windows.”
The spike in injuries seems to coincide with the increase in shootings and other violent acts being reported in the city even though overall arrests are down.
Statistics show that there has been a 153 percent increase in shooting incidents by the public.
Crime data from the NYPD indicates arrests this year have decreased about 39 percent overall. Arrests for murder are down 9.5 percent; for robbery, 11.1 percent; and for guns, 16.5 percent compared to the same time period in 2019.
Police Benevolent Association President Patrick Lynch said:
“The chaos that politicians are encouraging on the streets is putting cops in the hospital.
“It is not just the nearly 500 cops who have been hit with bricks and bottles or otherwise injured during supposedly ‘peaceful’ protests.
“Hundreds more are being injured because criminals are emboldened to fight cops the moment we step on the scene. They know our hands are tied.
“Every New Yorker needs to ask their elected officials how cops can protect them when we can barely protect ourselves.”
The reforms included the ban on police chokeholds; the appointment of a special prosecutor in cases where civilians are either killed or hurt by police; making it a crime to make a fake, racially biased 911 call; and most prominently, a repeal of 50-a, the law that was used to shield police disciplinary records from the public.
The governor also signed an executive order requiring local governments to reinvent their police departments by April 2021. Departments that do not comply will lose state funding. Cuomo said:
“We’re not going to be a state government subsidizing improper police tactics. We’re not doing it, and this is how we’re going to do it.
“I’m going to sign an executive order today that will require local governments and police departments all across the state — about 500 — to develop a plan that reinvents and modernizes police strategies and programs in their community.”
NYPD officials and unions raised concerns this “diaphragm” provision could restrict arrest techniques and scare police away from action altogether.
Lynch denounced the revision in a PBA statement:
“Nothing short of a full repeal can repair the damage from this insane law.
“That won’t happen, because the mayor and City Council have no intention of actually fixing this problem. They are content to blame cops for the mess they created.
“If they wanted us to be able to do our job safely and effectively, they would never have passed it in the first place.”
Then on July 15, Mayor Bill de Blasio signed five bills for greater police transparency and accountability, including the criminalization of police officers’ use of chokeholds.
The mayor officially banned the use of chokeholds by police officers and made it a misdemeanor crime, even though NYPD has banned its use since 1993.
NYPD officials raised concerns about the current law’s prohibition of compressing a suspect’s diaphragm by sitting, kneeling or standing on someone’s chest or back, according to NY1 News.
Politicians also suggested that the legislation has had a negative effect on police productivity, with plummeting arrests and soaring violence.
Queens Councilman Donovan Richards, who is the Democratic nominee for borough president, said:
“The PBA [Police Benevolent Association] and the police department do not have a right to act on pieces of legislation the Council passes that they don’t like in an active slowdown, because that’s certainly what we are feeling on the ground.
“I would be open to having a conversation about the diaphragm portion of the chokehold bill if this means the New York City Police Department would get back to work. And I don’t want to hear excuses.”
Therefore, during a daily briefing in August, de Blasio confirmed the City Council was looking to change the legislation’s language:
“Clearly, the crucial reform in the original legislation continues. Chokeholds will be illegal no matter what. As I understand, the focus here is just on some clarification on the issue of diaphragms.”
When NY1 reached out to the police officer’s union to ask if there was an intentional work slowdown, the following statement was given to the news organization:
“New York City police officers are doing our job exactly as directed. Mayor de Blasio has touted the NYPD’s reductions in arrests for years. The City Council passed a law that made it impossible to safely arrest a resisting criminal.
“It’s baffling that anybody would expect police officers to step up arrests when our city leaders have made it clear they want fewer arrests and less enforcement, not more.”
2 officers ambushed in New Orleans, one shot in face by man in pedicab
The officers were in an SUV when the pedicab approached
Credit: The New Orleans Advocate
NEW ORLEANS — A pedicab passenger inexplicably shot a New Orleans police officer in the face in the French Quarter on Friday afternoon, just as revelers began arriving to celebrate Halloween weekend.
The officer was wounded at about 4:25 p.m. while in his patrol vehicle near St. Philip and Royal streets. Other officers took him to a hospital rather than wait for paramedics, and police arrested the alleged gunman within minutes, Police Superintendent Shaun Ferguson said.
Ferguson said the officer was in serious but stable condition after being shot under his left eye. The bullet was lodged in the officer’s skull, but the four-year veteran, whose name was not immediately released, was responsive as he walked into the hospital holding his cheek, Ferguson said.
A second officer, a 16-year veteran, was wounded by glass shards in the shooting, from a shattered window on the cruiser.
“Two of our officers were ambushed,” said Ferguson, who said officers confiscated a gun that they think was used in the shooting. “This is a dark day.”
Ferguson said the suspect, who had a gun holster on him, appeared to be experiencing some type of medical episode when he was captured. He said the man was taken to a hospital for evaluation, and he made clear that the arresting officers did not use any physical force on the suspect.
“I want to commend those officers for maintaining professionalism,” Ferguson said.
Ferguson did not identify the suspect or specify what charges he would face.
Friday night, a law enforcement source identified the suspect as Donnell Linwood Hansel, 45.
Several eyewitnesses said two officers were in an SUV on Royal Street crossing St. Philip when a pedicab riverbound on St. Philip approached. A man in the back of the pedicab stood up and fired at least five shots into the driver’s side door of the police vehicle, they said. The shooter ran off as the pedicab crashed.
Gabriel Shaffer, an artist who owns a gallery on that block of Royal, said he heard the wounded officer get out of the vehicle while moaning and exclaiming in pain.
“I could clearly hear him say, ‘Oh, my God, somebody just took my life!'” Shaffer said. “It was pretty awful.”
Tour guides Angie Still and Karen Fernandez said they were just a few yards away when the shooting erupted. They saw an officer on the passenger side of the targeted police vehicle jump out and scream, “Officer down!” Neither officer from the vehicle appeared to have time to return fire.
“We were just sitting there in shock,” Still said.
Douglas Mackar, who was in a building overlooking the scene of the shooting, said he heard the gunshots and ran to the window. He said he saw the driver of the pedicab crash into the sidewalk and run for cover.
Mackar said he ran from the window to check on his girlfriend, and by the time he returned, the wounded officer had already been whisked away to the hospital. “Whoever was first on the scene got him loaded up and out of here within seconds,” Mackar said.
A woman who asked that her name not be published said she saw the suspected shooter flailing, screaming and trying to bite first responders who were loading him into an ambulance after his arrest.
At the wig shop Fifi Mahoney’s, employees grabbed a few passerby from the street and locked them inside along with six customers. One customer, a doctor, left and dashed to the shooting scene to help, returning later with bloodied hands to take his wife home, an employee said.
Ferguson said passersby helped officers find the gunman by pointing him out as he ran to the intersection of St. Peter and Decatur streets. A retired Army veteran performed first aid on the officer’s face wound before he was taken to the hospital, Ferguson said.
The police chief thanked those members of the public for each of those actions, which came amid a party atmosphere that is typical in the French Quarter on a Friday evening.
Donovan Livaccari of the local Fraternal Order of Police lodge called the shooting was a sobering reminder of the dangers inherent to professional law enforcement.
“Merely driving down the street … can lead to gunfire,” he said. “These two officers were not responding to a call for service. They were not looking for an armed subject on a pedicab. They were driving around in the French Quarter on routine patrol.”
“If the city can’t even keep the police safe, how can we feel safe?” wondered a worried Kim Planche Hunter, who has lived in the French Quarter resident for 70 years.
Ferguson said the attack marked a particularly grueling hour in what has been a difficult year for both his agency and the city. Not only has New Orleans been gripped by the deadly coronavirus pandemic since March, it also took a direct hit two days earlier from Hurricane Zeta, a strong Category 2 storm that caused widespread damage and left tens of thousands without electricity even two days later.
“We’ll get through this together,” Ferguson said.
Katelyn Umholtz contributed to this report.
(c)2020 The Times-Picayune | The New Orleans Advocate
McClatchy-Tribune News Service
San Francisco Police: 3 cops injured in clashes between pro-Trump, anti-Trump groups
Three cops injured during clashes in San Francisco
October 18, 2020 – By Mallory Moench and Michael Williams – San Francisco Chronicle
SAN FRANCISCO — 3 cops were injured in clashes on Saturday. San Francisco police said six people were injured, including three officers, during clashes between a small group of President Trump’s supporters and a larger crowd of counterprotesters Saturday near Civic Center. No arrests had been made by early Saturday evening.
The pro-Trump protest, billed as a free speech rally, drew people from Team Save America wearing “Make America Great Again” hats and carrying pro-police “Thin Blue Line” flags. They set up a stage at the Federal Building at U.N. Plaza, but dozens of black-clad demonstrators quickly gathered to oppose the group, holding signs that read, “Smash Fascism” and “Nazi Trump F– Off.”
The rally was organized in protest of what the Team Save America group described as censorship of conservative views by social media companies. About 10 people were on the speech-giving side of a police barricade.
They were eventually outnumbered by hundreds of counterprotesters. Rumors spread on social media that the Proud Boys, a pro-Trump group known for participating in street brawls, would appear at the rally. The rally’s organizer, Philip Anderson, has identified himself on social media as a member of the Proud Boys.
Tensions rapidly built up as demonstrators surrounded some members of the pro-Trump group, chasing them behind a barricade set up to separate the groups.
A short time later, the opposition group confronted Anderson, arguing about fascism and the police.
After about 10 minutes, the two men started walking away, followed by the black-clad demonstrators. Some people threw punches at the men as they retreated behind a police barrier. A couple dozen officers holding batons and carrying zip-tie handcuffs on their belts lined a barricade on the stage side.
At about 1 p.m., Anderson took the stage. He was quickly greeted by a barrage of plastic water bottles and glass bottles thrown over the barricade. He had gotten punched in the face, and later posted photos on social media of his broken teeth.
“You knocked my tooth out, but you’re saying Black lives matter,” said Anderson, who is Black. “I love America and I love this country, but I want free speech.”
At least one Trump supporter was taken from the rally in an ambulance after being attacked by a counter protester. His condition was not immediately known.
The speech ended after about 15 minutes, and counterprotesters were left confronting a line of riot-gear-clad police.
San Francisco police said that one rally participant was “assaulted,” and that opposition protesters had thrown items including “plastic bottles filled with unknown liquid,” metal cans and eggs at rally participants. Police shut down the event due to the violence, the police statement said.
After the speeches ended, the counterprotesters moved to block McAllister Street as the pro-Trump crowd left the area. Shields were handed out among counterprotesters as riot police formed a line to move the crowd off the streets. At one point, pepper spray was used — its origin was unclear, though both sides blamed the other — causing coughs.
By about 1:30 p.m., the counterprotesters moved west along Market Street toward Twitter headquarters with a line of shields in the front that read, “We keep us safe.”
Mara Coleman, 20, of San Mateo joined the march with a bullhorn and a sign that read, “Say his name,” and “Protect black men,” with a picture of George Floyd.
“These are people who have been hurt for hundreds, if not thousands, of years,” she said of protesters. “What do you expect? It’s not our job to be peaceful. You don’t get justice, you take justice.”
“All cops are bulls–,” the crowd chanted as it moved down Market Street toward Twitter headquarters, where Team Save America was said to be planning another anti-censorship rally later.
Around 2:30 p.m., a scuffle erupted at the corner of Market and Polk streets. A video taken by bystander Brynn Atlas, obtained by The Chronicle, shows two men, one with a MAGA hat, walking into the crowd at Twitter headquarters. In the video, a counterprotester appears to notice the hat and sends water from a bottle toward the man. Another grabs the hat, while another swings, as counterprotesters chase the two men down the street into a gathering of police.
When counterprotesters, one waving a partially burned Thin Blue Line flag, moved toward the police and the two men receiving medical attention, police called for backup. Sirens came screaming down side streets to Market Street, and about 50 officers in a line, batons raised, marched steadily forward, effectively pushing counterprotesters toward South Van Ness Avenue. Another line did the same toward 10th Street. After a couple of heated minutes with the counterprotesters yelling at silent officers, the counterprotesters retreated.
Police cleared out from Market Street by 3:15 p.m., and by 4:30 p.m. the street was back open and no protesters were to be seen.
Police said in a statement that “several rally participants sustained non life-threatening-injuries.” There are 3 cops injured in clashes. The three officers had non-life-threatening injuries “when they were assaulted with pepper spray and caustic chemicals,” the police said. One was taken to a hospital.
Twitter and Facebook both came under attack from Trump and conservative groups when they banned users from sharing links to a New York Post story that said email recovered from a computer suggested that Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden had lied about not being involved in meeting with people from a Ukrainian energy company that had his son Hunter on its board of directors.
“So terrible that Facebook and Twitter took down the story of ‘Smoking Gun’ emails related to Sleepy Joe Biden and his son, Hunter,” Trump tweeted Wednesday.
Twitter officials argued that the story of the three cops injured in clashes was violated their rules against using hacked content, but backed away and lifted the ban Friday.
“Straight blocking of URLs was wrong, and we updated our policy and enforcement to fix,” Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey tweeted.
(c)2020 the San Francisco Chronicle
Police officer shot, another man injured in Kansas shooting
Cory Ryan, the police officer was shot multiple times when responding to a call from a man who said he had been threatened with a gun
October 17, 2020: CREDIT: Associated Press
LYONS, Kansas — Cory Ryan, Lyons police officer was shot multiple times when responding to a 911 call Friday afternoon from a man who said he had been threatened with a gun, the Kansas Bureau of Investigation reported. The 36-year-old police officer went to a Lyons residence and was shot by a man who lived there, 40-year-old Adam Hrabik, the bureau said. A police officer and another man were injured by gunfire in Kansas, authorities said.
Two bystanders who saw the shooting drove the officer to a hospital in their vehicle. Additional officers then found a 56-year-old man outside who had also been shot.
Lyons Police chief Justin Holliday also sustained minor injuries when removing a 56-year-old Lyons man who had been shot from the scene. Holliday is recovering at home after being treated at a local hospital. Ryan, The officer was later transferred from the local hospital to a Wichita hospital in critical condition. The 56-year-old man was in serious condition at a Wichita hospital.
In the Wichita hospital Ryan is improving and is listed Saturday in critical, but stable condition. The 56-year-old man is in good condition Saturday and is expected to be released from the hospital.
An hourslong standoff ensued after Hrabik retreated into the residence, according to investigators. Negotiators with the Kansas Highway Patrol’s special response team got him to leave the home at about 7:10 p.m., The Kansas Bureau of Investigation said.
Hrabik has not been formally charged.