Three cops injured during clashes in San Francisco
October 18, 2020 – By Mallory Moench and Michael Williams – San Francisco Chronicle
SAN FRANCISCO — 3 cops were injured in clashes on Saturday. San Francisco police said six people were injured, including three officers, during clashes between a small group of President Trump’s supporters and a larger crowd of counterprotesters Saturday near Civic Center. No arrests had been made by early Saturday evening.
The pro-Trump protest, billed as a free speech rally, drew people from Team Save America wearing “Make America Great Again” hats and carrying pro-police “Thin Blue Line” flags. They set up a stage at the Federal Building at U.N. Plaza, but dozens of black-clad demonstrators quickly gathered to oppose the group, holding signs that read, “Smash Fascism” and “Nazi Trump F– Off.”
The rally was organized in protest of what the Team Save America group described as censorship of conservative views by social media companies. About 10 people were on the speech-giving side of a police barricade.
They were eventually outnumbered by hundreds of counterprotesters. Rumors spread on social media that the Proud Boys, a pro-Trump group known for participating in street brawls, would appear at the rally. The rally’s organizer, Philip Anderson, has identified himself on social media as a member of the Proud Boys.
Tensions rapidly built up as demonstrators surrounded some members of the pro-Trump group, chasing them behind a barricade set up to separate the groups.
A short time later, the opposition group confronted Anderson, arguing about fascism and the police.
After about 10 minutes, the two men started walking away, followed by the black-clad demonstrators. Some people threw punches at the men as they retreated behind a police barrier. A couple dozen officers holding batons and carrying zip-tie handcuffs on their belts lined a barricade on the stage side.
At about 1 p.m., Anderson took the stage. He was quickly greeted by a barrage of plastic water bottles and glass bottles thrown over the barricade. He had gotten punched in the face, and later posted photos on social media of his broken teeth.
“You knocked my tooth out, but you’re saying Black lives matter,” said Anderson, who is Black. “I love America and I love this country, but I want free speech.”
At least one Trump supporter was taken from the rally in an ambulance after being attacked by a counter protester. His condition was not immediately known.
The speech ended after about 15 minutes, and counterprotesters were left confronting a line of riot-gear-clad police.
San Francisco police said that one rally participant was “assaulted,” and that opposition protesters had thrown items including “plastic bottles filled with unknown liquid,” metal cans and eggs at rally participants. Police shut down the event due to the violence, the police statement said.
After the speeches ended, the counterprotesters moved to block McAllister Street as the pro-Trump crowd left the area. Shields were handed out among counterprotesters as riot police formed a line to move the crowd off the streets. At one point, pepper spray was used — its origin was unclear, though both sides blamed the other — causing coughs.
By about 1:30 p.m., the counterprotesters moved west along Market Street toward Twitter headquarters with a line of shields in the front that read, “We keep us safe.”
Mara Coleman, 20, of San Mateo joined the march with a bullhorn and a sign that read, “Say his name,” and “Protect black men,” with a picture of George Floyd.
“These are people who have been hurt for hundreds, if not thousands, of years,” she said of protesters. “What do you expect? It’s not our job to be peaceful. You don’t get justice, you take justice.”
“All cops are bulls–,” the crowd chanted as it moved down Market Street toward Twitter headquarters, where Team Save America was said to be planning another anti-censorship rally later.
Around 2:30 p.m., a scuffle erupted at the corner of Market and Polk streets. A video taken by bystander Brynn Atlas, obtained by The Chronicle, shows two men, one with a MAGA hat, walking into the crowd at Twitter headquarters. In the video, a counterprotester appears to notice the hat and sends water from a bottle toward the man. Another grabs the hat, while another swings, as counterprotesters chase the two men down the street into a gathering of police.
When counterprotesters, one waving a partially burned Thin Blue Line flag, moved toward the police and the two men receiving medical attention, police called for backup. Sirens came screaming down side streets to Market Street, and about 50 officers in a line, batons raised, marched steadily forward, effectively pushing counterprotesters toward South Van Ness Avenue. Another line did the same toward 10th Street. After a couple of heated minutes with the counterprotesters yelling at silent officers, the counterprotesters retreated.
Police cleared out from Market Street by 3:15 p.m., and by 4:30 p.m. the street was back open and no protesters were to be seen.
Police said in a statement that “several rally participants sustained non life-threatening-injuries.” There are 3 cops injured in clashes. The three officers had non-life-threatening injuries “when they were assaulted with pepper spray and caustic chemicals,” the police said. One was taken to a hospital.
Twitter and Facebook both came under attack from Trump and conservative groups when they banned users from sharing links to a New York Post story that said email recovered from a computer suggested that Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden had lied about not being involved in meeting with people from a Ukrainian energy company that had his son Hunter on its board of directors.
“So terrible that Facebook and Twitter took down the story of ‘Smoking Gun’ emails related to Sleepy Joe Biden and his son, Hunter,” Trump tweeted Wednesday.
Twitter officials argued that the story of the three cops injured in clashes was violated their rules against using hacked content, but backed away and lifted the ban Friday.
“Straight blocking of URLs was wrong, and we updated our policy and enforcement to fix,” Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey tweeted.
(c)2020 the San Francisco Chronicle
NJ cops won’t face penalty for making too few arrests under new bill
Under the proposal, agencies would be barred from using the number of arrests made or citations issued to evaluate an officer’s overall performance
Credit By Blake Nelson for – nj.com December 14, 2020
TRENTON, N.J. — New Jersey lawmakers advanced a bill Friday to prevent cops from facing demotion, discipline or pay cuts just because they didn’t arrest more people.
A department would be barred from considering the number of arrests made or citations issued when evaluating an officer’s overall performance, under a proposal (S1322) approved 6-0 by the state Senate Law and Public Safety Committee.
Current law allows those statistics to be one of the factors considered when officials weigh promotions, demotions, dismissals, discipline and salaries.
Police “are all too often pressured to write more tickets to increase revenue and help municipalities balance their budgets,” state Sen. Shirley Turner, D- Mercer and one of the bill’s sponsors, said in a statement. Other departments have been accused of having secret arrest “quotas,” she said.
“These policies, whether written or unwritten, have fallen hardest upon low-income individuals and people of color,” Turner added.
The bill would still allow arrest and citation statistics to be tracked. The proposal must pass the full Senate and Assembly before it can head to the governor’s desk.
Several policing reforms have advanced since George Floyd protests swept the state. The governor recently signed a bill into law largely requiring departments to use body cameras, but other reforms have stalled.
Police prepare for protests after officer-involved shooting in Philadelphia leaves criminal dead
November 13, 2020 – Credit Law Enforcement Today
PHILADELPHIA, PA – Police in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania got into a vehicle pursuit with a man who was armed with a gun.
When the subject crashed his car during the pursuit, he began to fire on the officers, prompting them to return fire, striking and killing the man.
The incident occurred on November 12th when officers in an unmarked police vehicle noted a red Ford Mustang that was stopped in an intersection near B and Stella Streets.
The officers honked their horn, apparently hoping the driver would move out of the intersection and allow them to pass, but the car did not move.
Officers exited their vehicle and approached the man, who was holding a gun in his hand. When they got the man’s attention, he seemed startled and fled.
The vehicle pursuit continued until the car crashed near Jasper Street and Hart Lane. The driver, who has not been identified at this time, took off in an attempt to get away from the officers.
Fearing for their lives, the officers returned fire, striking the man. Officers rushed into render aid to the man, and called for medics to respond to the scene. Once they arrived, they transported the suspect to a local hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.
Thankfully, the police were not injured during the incident. The officers involved will be placed on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation, which is normal procedure for these cases.
Philadelphia Police Sergeant Eric Gripp said:
“When the officers in their unmarked vehicle came upon that crash, one of the officers exited the vehicle and stayed with the crashed vehicle to preserve that scene. While the other officer stayed inside of their unmarked car to try to ascertain the location of the driver.
“Shortly thereafter, he came upon this male…at which point the officer exited his vehicle [and] attempted to stop the male. From what we have through surveillance footage and body cam footage…it appears that the offender fired at least two shots at our police officer.
“Our police officer fired at least two shots in return, striking the male…that male was transported by police to Einstein Hospital and was pronounced dead shortly thereafter…
This is a very fluid situation…while this investigation is taking place, it will be handled by our Officer Involved Shooting Investigation Unit along with Internal Affairs who will provide the results of their concurrent investigations to the District Attorney’s Office.”
“New dash cam video shows the 39 year old suspect in the red mustang fleeing from police, driving the wrong way and almost hitting Avi D, in his car. The suspect eventually crashed, and fled on foot before exchanging shots with @PhillyPolice.”
At this point, police stated that they have identified the male as a 39-year-old Hispanic, but they are not releasing his name. This is most likely because they have not made contact with the man’s next of kin.
The City of Philadelphia is just getting over the mass riots, protests, and looting that occurred after police shot and killed Walter Wallace, Jr. In that incident, police were called because Wallace was threatening family members with a knife.
When police arrived on the scene, they made contact with Wallace who was still armed with the knife. Officers backed up, almost to the point of running away from Wallace, while shouting orders for the man to drop the knife, which he ignored.
After several orders were ignored and Wallace appeared to pick up his pace towards officers, they opened fire, striking and killing him at the scene.
Despite the video evidence which proves officers account of the situation, the city still became a center of unrest because Wallace allegedly suffered from mental illness which is believed by the family to have caused the incident.
2 officers ambushed in New Orleans, one shot in face by man in pedicab
The officers were in an SUV when the pedicab approached
Credit: The New Orleans Advocate
NEW ORLEANS — A pedicab passenger inexplicably shot a New Orleans police officer in the face in the French Quarter on Friday afternoon, just as revelers began arriving to celebrate Halloween weekend.
The officer was wounded at about 4:25 p.m. while in his patrol vehicle near St. Philip and Royal streets. Other officers took him to a hospital rather than wait for paramedics, and police arrested the alleged gunman within minutes, Police Superintendent Shaun Ferguson said.
Ferguson said the officer was in serious but stable condition after being shot under his left eye. The bullet was lodged in the officer’s skull, but the four-year veteran, whose name was not immediately released, was responsive as he walked into the hospital holding his cheek, Ferguson said.
A second officer, a 16-year veteran, was wounded by glass shards in the shooting, from a shattered window on the cruiser.
“Two of our officers were ambushed,” said Ferguson, who said officers confiscated a gun that they think was used in the shooting. “This is a dark day.”
Ferguson said the suspect, who had a gun holster on him, appeared to be experiencing some type of medical episode when he was captured. He said the man was taken to a hospital for evaluation, and he made clear that the arresting officers did not use any physical force on the suspect.
“I want to commend those officers for maintaining professionalism,” Ferguson said.
Ferguson did not identify the suspect or specify what charges he would face.
Friday night, a law enforcement source identified the suspect as Donnell Linwood Hansel, 45.
Several eyewitnesses said two officers were in an SUV on Royal Street crossing St. Philip when a pedicab riverbound on St. Philip approached. A man in the back of the pedicab stood up and fired at least five shots into the driver’s side door of the police vehicle, they said. The shooter ran off as the pedicab crashed.
Gabriel Shaffer, an artist who owns a gallery on that block of Royal, said he heard the wounded officer get out of the vehicle while moaning and exclaiming in pain.
“I could clearly hear him say, ‘Oh, my God, somebody just took my life!'” Shaffer said. “It was pretty awful.”
Tour guides Angie Still and Karen Fernandez said they were just a few yards away when the shooting erupted. They saw an officer on the passenger side of the targeted police vehicle jump out and scream, “Officer down!” Neither officer from the vehicle appeared to have time to return fire.
“We were just sitting there in shock,” Still said.
Douglas Mackar, who was in a building overlooking the scene of the shooting, said he heard the gunshots and ran to the window. He said he saw the driver of the pedicab crash into the sidewalk and run for cover.
Mackar said he ran from the window to check on his girlfriend, and by the time he returned, the wounded officer had already been whisked away to the hospital. “Whoever was first on the scene got him loaded up and out of here within seconds,” Mackar said.
A woman who asked that her name not be published said she saw the suspected shooter flailing, screaming and trying to bite first responders who were loading him into an ambulance after his arrest.
At the wig shop Fifi Mahoney’s, employees grabbed a few passerby from the street and locked them inside along with six customers. One customer, a doctor, left and dashed to the shooting scene to help, returning later with bloodied hands to take his wife home, an employee said.
Ferguson said passersby helped officers find the gunman by pointing him out as he ran to the intersection of St. Peter and Decatur streets. A retired Army veteran performed first aid on the officer’s face wound before he was taken to the hospital, Ferguson said.
The police chief thanked those members of the public for each of those actions, which came amid a party atmosphere that is typical in the French Quarter on a Friday evening.
Donovan Livaccari of the local Fraternal Order of Police lodge called the shooting was a sobering reminder of the dangers inherent to professional law enforcement.
“Merely driving down the street … can lead to gunfire,” he said. “These two officers were not responding to a call for service. They were not looking for an armed subject on a pedicab. They were driving around in the French Quarter on routine patrol.”
“If the city can’t even keep the police safe, how can we feel safe?” wondered a worried Kim Planche Hunter, who has lived in the French Quarter resident for 70 years.
Ferguson said the attack marked a particularly grueling hour in what has been a difficult year for both his agency and the city. Not only has New Orleans been gripped by the deadly coronavirus pandemic since March, it also took a direct hit two days earlier from Hurricane Zeta, a strong Category 2 storm that caused widespread damage and left tens of thousands without electricity even two days later.
“We’ll get through this together,” Ferguson said.
Katelyn Umholtz contributed to this report.
(c)2020 The Times-Picayune | The New Orleans Advocate
McClatchy-Tribune News Service